Even as he chose us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and blameless before him. In love 5 he predestined us for adoption as sons through Jesus Christ, according to the purpose of his will, 6 to the praise of his glorious grace, with which he has blessed us in the Beloved.
How does your experience of being loved give God glory?
Six illustrations show how God loves you for his namesake. He shows his love for us by:
1. Predestining us for adoption to the praise of that adopting grace (Ephesians 1:5).
2. Creating us in love for his glory (Isaiah 43:6-7).
3. Sending us a savior (Luke 2:10-14).
4. Christ dying for us (2 Corinthians 5:14-15).
5. Making us spiritually alive (Ephesians 2:4-7).
6. The way Jesus prays for us (John 17:24).
God seeks his own glory through giving his love. For many, the view of love is that it ends at you. It is beyond comprehension that the there is a greater love. How can God be making much of me when he is making much of me to make much of himself?
Is it part of God’s love for you to make much of you? And if so, is it right to take joy in this? First look at how God makes much of us:
1. By being pleased with us and commending our lives.
2. By making us fellow heirs with the Son who owns the world and everything in it (Romans 4:13).
3. By having us sit at the table when Christ returns and serving us as though we were the masters (Luke 12:37).
4. By appointing us to carry out the judgement of angels (1 Corinthians 6:3).
5. By ascribing value to us and rejoicing over us as valuable possessions (Matthew 10:29, Zephaniah 3:17).
6. By giving us a transformed, glorious body (Philippians 3:21, Matthew 13:43).
7. By granting us to sit with Christ on his throne (Revelation 3:21, Ephesians 1:22).
So why does the God that makes much of us in love continually remind us that he is doing it for his own glory?
Loving us this way is the greater love. You have to go through a regeneration to comprehend this. Self, no matter how glorified, will never be enough for a heart made for God. He is our final treasure.
John Piper said,
Glory in this. Take heart in this. Rejoice in this. Be compelled in your ministry because of this. You are loved. He loves you so much that he will not let your preciousness become your god. He will be your God.